History of these two Monasteries is a bit misterious,
because the place where the rests of the church are hidden
at alabastro caves and the Pescera torrent is not so well known.
The generic title of the two Badie has the origin from two distinguished monasteries, situated in a place anciently called “Moxi”.
One of these monasteries was dedicated to S. Salvatore, the other one to S. Maria, S. Quirico and S. Torpè.
First mention of the S. Quirico Badia is on a 1034 chart by Annalisti Camaldolensi. References about S. Salvatore at “Moxi” are in the 19th September 1106 bull directed by Pasquale !! To Benedetto, abbot of the monastery. Then the two monasteries had been reunited under only one abbot: the most famous of them is Francesco da Orvieto, S. Quirico abbot, who read laws at Pisa University.
The two Badie, with their properties, had been united to the S. Donnino priority, out of Pisa, with Urbano VI 1384 boll, even if 60 years before no monks were living there anymore.
The Badie were found ruined even at the Diocesan visit of 1568. S. Salvatore still conserved a part of the church wall with big squared stones, the facade was divided into pillars and white marble and serpentino stripes with sculpted capitals.
On the door lintel there was a bas-relief (actually conserved at S. Matteo Museum in Pisa) transported to a Castellina Marittima church: in here the Saviour is sculpted with the four Evangelists, with one of the most ancient artist signature: Opus quod violetis, Bonus amicus fecit.